Saturday, November 23, 2013
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Thank you to everyone who came out last Saturday to make the 8th Rivanna River race a success! The water was up yet at a good level this year. The results have been posted at: http://www.cvillepaddlers.com/races
Once again, we thank Merrill Bishop for organizing such a great event! Thanks, Merrill!!
And finally, if you have any photos from the event, please share them by sending to dave [@} cvillepaddlers.com.
Posted by Dave at 11:16 AM
Saturday, April 13, 2013
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Save the date! Saturday May 11, 2013 for the 8th annual Rivanna River downriver canoe & kayak race in Charlottesville, VA. The downriver race will follow the same schedule as previous years...
6.2-mile downriver race:
Racers to assemble starting at 8:30am for registration. First race starts promptly at 10am.
Racers may be started together at 10am sharp or there may be several heats depending upon the number of participants. Race Coordinator reserves the right to combine or eliminate categories depending upon the number of paddlers in each category on race day.
Kayak >16' male
Kayak >16' female
Kayak </=16' male
Kayak </=16' female
Solo canoe male
Solo canoe female
Tandem canoe male
Tandem canoe female
Tandem canoe mixed
Tandem kayak male
Tandem kayak female
Tandem kayak mixed
Male SUP (stand up paddleboard)
Solo short/stubby/whitewater kayaks (male & female) that do not appear to the Race Coordinator to be competitive in the "recreational," less than 16' categories
* Race classes and assignments are determined by the race officials. Where there is inadequate participation in a class it may be combined with a class of similar character. There are many different styles and types of boats and it can be difficult to group "like" boats together to ensure that all boats in the same class are competitive with each other. There are many factors that include length, width, and hull shape, just to name a few. The race officials do their best to get boats into the class which is most appropriate and their decisions are final.
Paddlers assemble at registration/start line under the Route 29 bridge north of Charlottesville (just north of the DoubleTree Hotel/Sam’s Club on the upstream side of the bridge off Rio Mills Road.) Race finish line is 6.2 miles later at the boat ramp in Darden Towe Park on the east side of Charlottesville. First place paddlers may finish by approx. 10:45am. Awards ceremony will be held at Darden Towe boat ramp shortly after the last racer completes the race (estimated 12:30-1pm.)
$10 entrance fee (per craft, one winning medal for tandem crafts.) All kayakers and canoers welcome. Race course includes Class II—II+ rapids. Paddle at your own risk. (Signed waivers required.) Public spectators welcomed and encouraged at the finish line at Darden Towe Park.
Please keep an eye on this site for more information and updates!
1. All participants must wear Coast Guard approved life vests.
2. All participants are required to give aid to any boater in danger.
3. Paddlers are strongly encouraged to wear whitewater helmets for their protection.
4. Paddlers are encouraged to run the race course sometime before the actual race as there can be a few Class II - Class II+ rapids depending upon the water level.
Posted by Dave at 8:18 PM